International Practice Section
The International Practice Section was founded in 1984. This section has a broad focus that includes not only the study of current developments in the field of international law but also immigration law, international transactional work, and international litigation or arbitration. Members represent a wide variety of backgrounds and practices, including full-time and part-time practitioners, government, business, foreign lawyers, academia, internationally-focused law students, and those simply intellectually interested. Member benefits include a quarterly e-newsletter, monthly mini-CLEs free for members, and annual receptions for both foreign lawyers and law students.
Executive Committee Elections Begin in May
The forthcoming ballot will contain one or more candidates for the following open positions:
All terms begin Oct. 1, 2019.
- Chair: one-year term ending Sept. 30, 2020
- Chair-elect: one-year term ending Sept. 30, 2020
- Secretary/Treasurer: one-year term ending Sept. 30, 2020
- Communications Committee Chair: one-year term ending Sept. 30, 2020
- At-Large Members (three positions open): three-year terms ending Sept. 30, 2022
Alternate Nomination Process: please see Article IX of the section's bylaws.
Voting will be conducted via SurveyMonkey. To ensure you receive a ballot, please click here and/or adjust spam filters/firewalls to ensure your email address will receive a ballot.
Questions?: Fee free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership of the International Practice Section continues to grow. The cost of membership is small compared to the benefits of membership.
Benefits include, but are not limited to, informative e-newsletters, meetings with other individuals interested in this area, presentations by speakers with excellent, timely information, and receptions for lawyers and law students. The benefits of membership are outlined in more detail immediately below.
The International Section has continued to grow in numbers and events and currently we have three yearly events that are open to all section members.
- Visiting lawyers' reception. This is an excellent event that pairs visiting lawyers attending programs at local universities with local lawyers. The attorneys meet at a reception hosted by a section law firm. This event is usually held in late October.
- Law student reception. This is an outreach event held for all students interested in international practice. This event provides law students the opportunity to meet with practicing attorneys and to join and become active in the section while still in school.
- Annual meeting. The annual meeting is open to all section members and is held mid-summer. At this meeting, board members are nominated and elected, yearly business is conducted, and members mingle, network, and reconnect.
Over the years, the section has put on many excellent full and half day CLEs. Currently, the Section hosts monthly mid-day CLEs. The speakers are excellent, the topics are lively, usually one CLE credit is approved and, best of all, it is free to section members. Watch your e-mail for notification and sign up early, because space is limited.
The Global Gavel E-Newsletter and Blog
Our big-picture goal with The Global Gavel e-newsletter and blog is to bring us together as a section and to provide another communication resource to help us build better practices and relationships. Don't forget to bookmark our section news webpage on The Global Gavel and visit it frequently for the latest section updates that take place in between the quarterly e-newsletter editions.
Got a job posting or work study opportunity for a law student? Want to hire a junior attorney for an entry-level associate position? Looking for a senior attorney with a book of business and partnership potential? Contact the editor-in-chief of The Global Gavel at email@example.com.
Note: The International Practice Section of the WSBA makes no representations or affirmations whatsoever as to these individuals' credentials, abilities, or legal right to accept employment in the U.S..
Law Students/Young Lawyers
Doing Business in Washington
Chair: Holly Vance
Chair-Elect: Leonid Kisselev
Secretary/Treasurer: Monica Sham
Immediate Past Chair: Matthew Dresden
Communications Chair: Eriko "Elly" Baxter
Young Lawyer Liaison: Brittany Fayette*
Board of Governors Liaison: Michael Cherry*
The Executive Committee of the International Practice Section holds monthly meetings. Some are held in person, others take place by telephone conference. All meetings have call-in participation. Attendees may dial 877-320-5879 and use the conference ID: 437673.
Please contact committee members for further details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
To join the section list serve and for general section questions, please send your email address and Bar number to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and to get involved with the section, please contact the section chair, Holly Vance.