Board of Governors Elections
Five positions on the WSBA Board of Governors are up for election in 2019, as well as the president-elect position. The open positions represent the following Congressional districts and one at-large seat:
- District 1 until recently held by Michael Cherry, who has resigned
- District 2 currently held by Carla Higginson
- District 9 currently held by Dan Bridges
- District 10 currently held by Christina Meserve
- At-large currently held by Athan Papailiou. This position represents lawyers historically underrepresented in WSBA governance.
The three-year term of office for all positions except District 1 begins late September 2019. The term of the District 1 position begins upon election and ends in late September 2021.
District 1 Position
A Board seat is open for an active member of the Bar residing in Congressional District 1 due to the recent resignation of Governor Michael Cherry. The application deadline was March 15, 2019. The Board of Governors will interview the following applicants then elect one at its May 16-17, 2019 meeting in Yakima.
District 2 Position
Carla Higginson was the only candidate in District 2 and has been named the winner. Congratulations, Carla!
District 9 and 10 Positions
The district 9 and 10 positions will be elected by their peers between March 15 and April 1, 2019.
- Generally, a member is entitled to vote in the congressional district in which he or she resides. All out-of-state active WSBA members are eligible to vote in the district of the address of their agent within Washington for the purpose of receiving service of process as required by APR 13(f) or, if specifically designated to the executive director, within the district of their primary Washington practice.
- The Bar will use an electronic voting system, and members will not receive a paper ballot unless they request one.
- If you reside in District 9 or 10 and did not receive a ballot, please email Help+WSBA@election-america.com.
At-Large Position and President-Elect
One at-large governor will be elected by the Board of Governors at its May 2019 meeting. The board will select from among candidates who have the experience and knowledge of the needs of those lawyers whose membership is or may be historically underrepresented in governance, or who represent some of the diverse citizens of Washington, to the end that the board will be a more diverse and representative body than the results of the election of governors based solely on Congressional Districts may allow. Any active member of the Bar (except one who previously served on the Board of Governors for more than 18 months) may run for this position.
The 2019-2020 president-elect will be elected by the Board of Governors at its May 2019 meeting and will assume office at the end of September. The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. PDT, April 22. To apply, complete this application form and email it along with attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.