How do I return to Active Status?
- To begin the process to return to Active status you must first submit a $100 investigation fee by online payment, or you can submit the Request for Application to Active Status along with the $100 fee.
- If you are on Disability Inactive status, you need to contact the WSBA Office of Disciplinary Counsel to get instructions about returning to Active status.
- If you have been disbarred or had your license revoked, you must contact WSBA Regulatory Services Counsel to get instructions about returning to Active status.
- In addition to completing the application, any return to Active status will require payment of necessary license fees and assessments, certification that you are in compliance with MCLE requirements including any late fees, submitting a trust account declaration, and submitting a professional liability insurance declaration or proof of financial responsibility coverage.
- The specific requirements vary depending on your license type, current status and how long you have not been on Active status. A full description of the requirements to return to Active status for each other status can be downloaded below.
- Returning to Active status after six years will require that you attend an additional reinstatement course offered only twice a year. Requesting a return to Active status after ten years will (with some exceptions) require that you retake the bar examination required for admission.
- All requests to return to Active status are subject to a character and fitness review.
Any discrepancy or conflict between the information provided here and the rules and regulations set by the Washington Supreme Court, or the Bylaws and policies of the Washington State Bar Association, is unintentional and will be resolved in favor of strict compliance with the rules, regulations, Bylaws and policies.