LGBT Law Section
The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Law Section strives to:
- Support understanding among WSBA members of the legal needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender residents of Washington
- Assist LGBT residents and those who represent them
- Better understand how their legal needs can be met
- Support research, education, and collaboration by section members on issues of sexual orientation and gender identification
- Promote the study of LGBT law and report on changing law and regulations as they affect LGBT people and communities
- Assist in legislative work undertaken within the scope of GR 12
- Act as a liaison between the WSBA, its Board of Governors, LGBT organizations, and the public
Shape Your Section for the Future: Apply Today to Become a Section Leader
Application Deadline is April 23, 2021
The following section executive committee positions are open for applications:
- Chair-elect: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
- Secretary: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
- Treasurer: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
- At-Large Member (two positions open): two-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
To learn more about roles and expectations for serving on the section executive committee, review a volunteer position description. This volunteer position description provides a general overview of section executive committee positions and may differ for each section.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must be a current section member and should be eligible to vote in accordance with the section’s bylaws.
Application Process: Click here to complete the online application for open executive committee positions. The Section has requested that each applicant submit a statement of interest with your application. This document can be uploaded with your online application (PDF format only). Please be advised that application materials may be posted on this website for public viewing.
- All applicants will apply through an electronic process administered by the bar.
- There will be an alternative process to allow for nominations outside of the nominating committee.
- The nominating committee shall review applicants and nominate at least one candidate for each available position; however, they may nominate more than one candidate for each position.
- A list of nominees for each position shall be provided to the Executive Committee for Approval.
- The nominee list shall include the nominees from the default and alternative nomination processes.
- Notice containing the names of all approved nominees shall be provided to the members at large at least 30 days prior to the election. The notice shall include the name of each nominee and the position they are nominated for.
Alternate Nomination Process: A section member may nominate another member by emailing Dennis Cronin (email@example.com). If materials (resume, statement of interest, etc.) are required, the nominator is required to submit those materials. A section member may self-nominate or be nominated by someone else during a meeting (remote meetings allowed for COVID-19 compliance) within the nomination timeline. The Nominating Committee will inform the nominee of consideration.
Elections Process: All voting members of the section will receive an electronic ballot sent to their email in June 2021. Visit this webpage in early June for election updates and voting instructions.
For more information about the Section, its executive committee roles, and elections process, please review the Section’s bylaws. You may also contact any member of the current Section Executive Committee or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chairs: Kelsey Kittleson
Chair-Elect: Peder Punsalan-Teigen
Immediate Past Chair: Dennis Cronin
Treasurer: Kenneth Wells
Secretary: Sam Gouveia
Young Lawyer Liaison*: Jesse Taylor (2020-2022)
Board of Governors Liaison*:
The WSBA LGBT Law Section Executive Committee generally conducts meetings 4-5 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month. You may attend by phone by calling 866-577-9294 and using the passcode 5016523#. Please contact committee member for specific details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
Join Our List Serve
To join the section list serve and for general questions, please send your email address and Bar number to email@example.com. For more information and to get involved with the section, please contact Section Chair Kelsey Kittleson.