Practice of Law Board
On July 1, 2021, the Practice of Law Board Chair Michael Cherry presented the Washington State Supreme Court with a Blueprint for a Legal Regulatory Sandbox. The meeting can be viewed on TVW. Read NW Sidebar's blog post.
- Educate the public about how to receive competent legal assistance
- Consider and recommend to the Supreme Court new avenues for persons not currently authorized to practice law to provide legal and law-related services that might otherwise constitute the practice of law as defined in GR 24
- Receive complaints alleging the unauthorized practice of law in Washington by any person or entity. The Board will review and may refer complaints that allege harm to the public interest to appropriate enforcement agencies.
Unauthorized Practice of Law Complaints
The Practice of Law Board is authorized by the Washington Supreme Court to receive and review complaints that allege the unauthorized practice of law in Washington. The Board may refer complaints that allege harm to the public to appropriate enforcement agencies. The practice of law is defined in GR 24. RCW 2.48.180 makes the unlawful practice of law a crime in Washington.
Please note: The Board does not have the authority to investigate complaints or determine whether a particular action is the authorized practice of law, and does not offer any enforcement or protective services. If you are concerned with threatening behavior or are in immediate danger, please contact your local police department. Most information submitted to WSBA or the Board is subject to WSBA's public records policy and subject to disclosure. Please redact sensitive information prior to submission.
The Board meets monthly via video conference from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Meetings are open to the public. Agendas and meeting materials will be posted on this page. Call-in information is listed on each meeting's agenda.
The Board met with the Washington State Supreme Court on February 4, 2021 and July 1, 2021. Archived videos of the meetings are available on TVW.
May 27, 2021
Mortgage Modifications for Washington Real Property
- Loan Mortgage Modification Interpretive Statement
- Washington Law Help
- Attorney General Office – Foreclosure & Mortgage Assistance
- Stop Notario Fraud
- Office of the Attorney General – Immigration Services
- Office of the Attorney General – Crack Down on Illegal Immigration Assistance
- Department of Justice – Recognition & Accreditation Program