Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Who We Are
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section promotes the informed use and best practices for all dispute resolution processes in Washington. Whether mediating, arbitrating or negotiating, every lawyer is an ADR professional. The section is home to many attorneys who are also members of other sections.
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section welcomes and encourages participation of all ADR professionals. You don’t have to be a lawyer or a member of WSBA. This is the community for all ADR professionals: mediators, arbitrators, and lawyers representing and advising their clients.
Apply to Serve on the Section Executive Committee
The nominations period is March 2–31, 2020.
Review the Volunteer Position Description, which provides a general overview of section executive committee officer positions and may differ for some sections. For more information about the Section and its Executive Committee roles, please review the Section’s bylaws. Voting will begin in May 2020.
The following positions are open for applications. All terms begin Oct. 1, 2020.
- Chair-elect: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2021.
- Treasurer: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2021.
- Secretary: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2021.
- At-Large Member (three positions open): two-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
- At-Large Member (three positions open): three-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
Complete the online application. The Section has requested that each applicant submit a resume and statement of interest to be included with your application. These documents can be uploaded with your online application (PDF format only).
Alternate Nomination Process
Section members may self-nominate by sending an application to the nominating committee by email.
Feel free to contact any member of the current Section Executive Committee or email email@example.com.
What We Do
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section connects professionals with relevant ADR resources and information:
- The annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, the premier dispute resolution conference in the Northwest, featuring national speakers presenting cutting-edge, current topics
- Educational presentations for both neutrals and advocates
- Unsurpassed networking opportunities with other ADR professionals
- Cost-effective CLE credits in ADR
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section hosts an interactive, content-driven website www.wsba-adr.org — the online network of ADR professionals. It is the source for relevant, current dispute resolution information in Washington:
- Share information and engage in professional discussions and in the Forum
- Learn about conferences and seminars on the Events page
- Connect with colleagues in Groups focused on specific ADR subjects like Arbitration, Foreclosure Mediation or Land Use
- Create your own individual online profile to market services to potential clients, connect with colleagues and get referrals on the ADR Professional Directory
How We Do It
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section has an Executive Committee and five standing committees:
Click on any of the committee group pages above to learn more, see how they can help you in your ADR practice and how you can get involved.
Officers terms are one year. The executive committee has voted to extend the terms of the officers for one additional year
Oct. 1, 2018 - Sept. 30, 2020
Chair: Joanna Roth
Chair-Elect: Melvyn Simburg
Secretary: Adrienne Keith Wills
Treasurer: Courtland Shafer
Immediate Past Chair: Courtney Kaylor
Young Lawyer Liaison: Hillarie Lee
Board of Governors Liaison: Kyle Sciuchetti*
Committee Members At-Large
At-Large Member terms are three years.
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Executive Committee conducts meetings on the third Friday of each month, beginning at noon and concluding by 1:30 p.m.
Unless otherwise specified, meetings take place at the WSBA offices, 1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600, Seattle. You may attend by phone by calling 866-577-9294 and using the passcode 5016527#. Please contact committee members for any other details on their upcoming meetings.
To learn more about the benefits of section membership, see the WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section website, contact any member of the Executive Committee or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.