Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Who We Are
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section promotes the informed use and best practices for all dispute resolution processes in Washington. Whether mediating, arbitrating or negotiating, every lawyer is an ADR professional. The section is home to many attorneys who are also members of other sections.
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section welcomes and encourages participation of all ADR professionals. You don’t have to be a lawyer or a member of WSBA. This is the community for all ADR professionals: mediators, arbitrators, and lawyers representing and advising their clients.
Become a Section Leader: Nomination Application for Section Executive Committee Positions Opening Soon
WSBA Sections provide professional development, education and community through CLEs, events, newsletters, list serve forums and active involvement with the state legislature. Each Section is run by a group of volunteers who are elected to serve on the Executive Committee. Many find leading a Section to be a rewarding experience because of the leadership growth, professional development, firsthand experience with the legislative process, and the collegiality it offers. Executive Committee discussions are productive and challenging, offering a unique opportunity to work with other legal professionals (even opposing counsel) in a goal-orientated setting that benefits WSBA members and the greater legal community.
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is seeking to fill positions on the Section Executive Committee. If interested, please review the below information and log-in to your MyWSBA profile, select My Profile, and finally select ‘Apply for a Section Executive Committee’ to complete the nomination application. A candidate statement and/or résumé may be requested on the application.
Nomination Applications Open: Friday, March 1, 2018
Nomination Application Deadline: Friday, March 30, 2018
Current Alternative Dispute Resolution Section members and WSBA members that are Active, Judicial, Emeritus, House Counsel, Professors, or Military Lawyers may apply to serve on the Section Executive Committee.
Open Positions & Terms
For more information about the Section and its Executive Committee roles, please review the Section’s bylaws.
- Chair-elect: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2018 and ending Sept. 30, 2019.
- Secretary: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2018 and ending Sept. 30, 2019.
- Treasurer: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2018 and ending Sept. 30, 2019.
- At-Large Members (two open positions): three-year terms beginning Oct. 1, 2018 and ending Sept. 30, 2021.
Alternate Nomination Process
Per WSBA Bylaws, Sections also have alternate nominations processes, should you miss the deadline to apply online. The alternate nomination process for the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is to be determined.
Section Executive Committee elections will begin on or around May 1, 2018 and be conducted electronically.
Questions? Want to Learn More?
Feel free to contact any member of the current Section Executive Committee or email email@example.com.
What We Do
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section connects professionals with relevant ADR resources and information:
- The annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, the premier dispute resolution conference in the Northwest, featuring national speakers presenting cutting-edge, current topics
- Educational presentations for both neutrals and advocates
- Unsurpassed networking opportunities with other ADR professionals
- Cost-effective CLE credits in ADR
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section hosts an interactive, content-driven website - www.wsba-adr.org — the online network of ADR professionals. It is the source for relevant, current dispute resolution information in Washington:
- Share information and engage in professional discussions and in the Forum
- Learn about conferences and seminars on the Events page
- Connect with colleagues in Groups focused on specific ADR subjects like Arbitration, Foreclosure Mediation or Land Use
- Create your own individual on-line profile to market services to potential clients, connect with colleagues and get referrals on the ADR Professional Directory
How We Do It
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section has an Executive Committee and five standing committees:
Click on any of the committee group pages above to learn more, see how they can help you in your ADR practice and how you can get involved.
Chair: Courtney Kaylor
Chair-Elect: Joanna Roth
Secretary: Megan Clark
Treasurer: Courtland Shafer
Immediate Past Chair: Adrienne Keith Wills
Young Lawyer Liaison: Hillarie Lee
BOG Liaison: Kyle Sciuchetti*
Committee Members At-Large
Please contact subcommittee members for details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
To learn more about the benefits of section membership, see the WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section website, contact any member of the Executive Committee or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.