Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
Who We Are
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section promotes the informed use and best practices for all dispute resolution processes in Washington. Whether mediating, arbitrating or negotiating, every lawyer is an ADR professional. The section is home to many attorneys who are also members of other sections.
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section welcomes and encourages participation of all ADR professionals. You don’t have to be a lawyer or a member of WSBA. This is the community for all ADR professionals: mediators, arbitrators, and lawyers representing and advising their clients.
2021 Section Executive Committee Elections
The Section is conducting elections for open positions on the executive committee.
Voting is scheduled for June 7-20, 2021. All voting members of the Section will receive an electronic ballot sent to their email on June 7, 2021, via Survey Monkey.
Candidate Information, Open Positions & Terms
For more information about the Section and its Executive Committee roles, please review the Section's bylaws. Candidates for open positions are listed below.
- Vice Chair: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
Candidate: Roger Moss | Candidate Materials
- Secretary: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
Candidate: Mary Juetten | Candidate Materials
- Treasurer: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
Candidate: Courtland Shafer | Candidate Materials
- At-Large Member (one position open): one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
Candidate: Emily Martin | Candidate Materials
- At-Large Member (two positions open): three-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and ending Sept. 30, 2024.
Candidate: Denise Knapp | Candidate Materials
Candidate: Sasha S. Philip | Candidate Materials
What We Do
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section connects professionals with relevant ADR resources and information:
- The annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, the premier dispute resolution conference in the Northwest, featuring national speakers presenting cutting-edge, current topics
- Educational presentations for both neutrals and advocates
- Unsurpassed networking opportunities with other ADR professionals
- Cost-effective CLE credits in ADR
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section hosts an interactive, content-driven website www.wsba-adr.org — the online network of ADR professionals. It is the source for relevant, current dispute resolution information in Washington:
- Share information and engage in professional discussions and in the Forum
- Learn about conferences and seminars on the Events page
- Connect with colleagues in Groups focused on specific ADR subjects like Arbitration, Foreclosure Mediation or Land Use
- Create your own individual online profile to market services to potential clients, connect with colleagues and get referrals on the ADR Professional Directory
How We Do It
WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section has an Executive Committee and five standing committees:
Click on any of the committee group pages above to learn more, see how they can help you in your ADR practice and how you can get involved.
Position (term end)
Chair: Melvyn Simburg (2022)
Chair-Elect: Roger Moss (2021)
Treasurer: Courtland Shafer (2021)
Immediate Past Chair: Joanna Roth (2022)
Liaison to New Laywers*: Mary Juetten (2021)
Board of Governors Liaison*: Brett Purtzer (2021)
Legislation Committee Chair*:
Land Use & Environment*:
The WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Executive Committee conducts meetings on the third Friday of each month, beginning at noon and concluding by 1:30 p.m.
Executive Committee meetings are currently being conducted by teleconference only. You may attend virtually by calling 1 (669) 900-6833, and using access code 8824651313#. Please contact committee members for any other details on their upcoming meetings.
To learn more about the benefits of section membership, see the WSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section website, contact any member of the Executive Committee or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Our List Serve
The ADR Section list serve is a great way to connect with your fellow ADR professionals. Members on the list serve are now able to post directly to the list serve. In order to foster a welcoming and productive environment, the ADR Section Executive Committee has adopted general list serve guidelines and section-specific list serve guidelines. To join the section list serve and for general section questions, please send your email address and Bar number to email@example.com.