Senior Lawyers Section
Anyone may join the Senior Lawyers Section, although to be a voting member, one must be an active or inactive member of the Washington State Bar Association who is age 55 or older or has been in practice in any jurisdiction for at least 25 years. As one of the few Association sections that does not focus on a particular area of the law, the Section provides information about navigating the practice of law, life transitions and developments in the law. The Section provides benefits to members by holding an annual meeting that includes CLE sessions, and usually a hosted lunch. The Section also presents other CLE programs on-line which focus on a broad range of topics, and publishes a newsletter,” Life Begins”, with articles of interest to senior lawyers. Section members are encouraged to submit articles for the newsletter.
Announcing the Latest Issue of Life Begins, the Senior Lawyers Newsletter!
Spring 2022 - Read it here!
Shape Your Section for the Future: Apply Today to Become a Section Leader
Applications open on March 21, 2022, and close at 5 p.m. April 29, 2022.
The following section executive committee positions are open for applications. All terms begin Oct. 1, 2022.
- Chair: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2022, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
- Secretary: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2022, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
- Treasurer: one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2022, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
- At-Large Member (nine positions open): one-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2022, and ending Sept. 30, 2023.
To learn more about roles and expectations for serving on the section executive committee, review this volunteer position description, which provides a general overview of section executive committee positions—these may differ for each section.
Applicants must be a current section member and should be eligible to vote in accordance with the section’s bylaws.
Go to the myWSBA portal to complete the online application for open executive committee positions.
Note: If you are applying for more than one position on this or multiple sections’ committees, you must complete and submit all applications at the same time, as you will not be allowed back into the portal at a later time. Please make sure you are completing the applications within the application window for all of the relevant sections.
Each year, the executive committee shall appoint two of its committee members and one other person to serve as its nominating committee. All applicants will apply through an electronic process administered by the Washington State Bar Association. The executive committee will also have an alternative process to allow for nominations to occur outside of the nominating committee process. The nominating committee shall nominate one or more members of the Section for each office and position up for annual election. The executive committee will review and approve the final list of nominees for each open position which is to be submitted to members of the Section for the regular annual election. The Washington State Bar Association will administer the elections by electronic means and certify the results, unless the Section develops its own equivalent electronic election process.
Alternate Nomination Process
A section member may self-nominate or be nominated by someone else during a meeting (remote meetings allowed for COVID-19 compliance) within the nomination timeline. The nominating committee will inform the nominee of consideration. All eligible applicants/nominees will be placed on ballot as candidates, even if not recommended by the section’s nominating committee.
All voting members of the section will receive an electronic ballot sent to their email in June 2022. Visit this webpage in early June for election updates and voting instructions.
For more information about the Section, its executive committee roles, and elections process, please review the Section’s bylaws. You may also contact any member of the current Section Executive Committee or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Section List Serve
- This is a "closed" list serve, which means it is not open to anyone not currently subscribed. Only current subscribers of the list serve can receive/send email to the list serve.
- Please note that the name of the list serve will be automatically added before the subject line of your message. The list name will appear in brackets. This allows you to use the list serve name as a filter when receiving email messages and setting up rules that you use to manage your email folders.
- This list serve allows attachments; however, the total message size including attachments is limited to 5 megabytes.
- Please review the List Serve Guidelines before sending messages to the list serve.
- If you have questions about the list serve, please contact email@example.com.
- To send a message to everyone currently subscribed to this list, address your message to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the "list address." The list serve will automatically distribute the email to all subscribers.
- A subject line is required on all email messages sent to the list serve.
- Include a signature block at the bottom of the message, or some other contact information (i.e. name and email address or phone number).
Responding to Messages
When you use "Reply" to respond to an email sent to the list serve, your message will go only to the author of the email. When you use "Reply All," your message will go to the author and to all members of the list serve.
WSBA Member Benefits
Did you know there are several important member benefits and tools that come with WSBA membership including professional liability insurance and Casemaker? You can also find group medical insurance plans can be found through a broker and individual plans can be found through a broker or on the Exchange.
Chair: Eleanor Doermann (2021-2022)
Secretary: Albert Armstrong III (2021-2022)
Treasurer: Ronald E. Thompson (2021-2022)
Newsletter Contact, "Life Begins":
Board of Governors Liaison*: Jordan Couch (2021-2022)
The Executive Committee of the Senior Lawyers Sections meets on the third Tuesday of each month (except December, July, and August) 10:30 a.m. to noon. Meetings have taken place at the Broadmoor Golf Club, 2340 Broadmoor Drive E., Seattle, WA 98112, but are currently being held virtually via Zoom.
Please contact Eleanor Doermann for further details on upcoming meetings.
For general section questions, please send your email address and Bar number to email@example.com. For more information and to get involved with the section, please contact the section Chair Eleanor Doermann.