Senior Lawyers Section
Welcome to the rank of Senior Lawyer! The Senior Lawyers Section is geared toward lawyers aged 55 years and counting or who have been in practice in any jurisdiction for 25 years. The section hosts an annual meeting and CLE program, social activities, and a newsletter. CLE programs focus on issues such as ethics, computer use, retirement strategies, and appellate procedures.
Pursuant to the section's bylaws, anyone may join the section, although section leadership and voting privileges are limited to active member of the Washington State Bar Association 55 years of age or older or who has been in practice in any jurisdiction for 25 years may be enrolled as a member of the section upon request and payment of annual section dues. Additionally, in accordance with the bylaws of the WSBA, law students may join the section as non-voting subscriber members.
For those of you who are not already members of the Senior Lawyers Section, consider joining this enthusiastic group by signing up now. In the words of past Chairman Fred Frederickson, "We have the best time of any section in the Association. Our longtime friends and compatriots at the Bar have much to offer each other."
The section's quarterly publication, Life Begins, is geared toward active senior lawyers. Section members are encouraged to submit articles of general interest and on legal issues.
Year in Review*
(Oct. 1, 2015-Sept. 30, 2016)
*Sources: Year-End Section Financial Reports, Section Annual Report & WSBA Demographics Report
New/Young Lawyers: 1%
- King County: 59%
- Peninsula & Southern Washington: 16%
- Central & Eastern Washington: 9%
- Northern Washington: 11%
- Public Sector/Government: 4%
- In-House: 2%
- Solo: 41%
- Small Firm (2-10): 21%
- Medium Firm (11-50): 9%
- Large Firm (51+): 3%
- Newsletters (2)
The section produced two newsletters, which included recaps of prior section CLEs and other articles written by section members.
The executive committee met nine times during the year. The committee spent considerable time discussing the present and future of the section, in light of the changing demographics of the profession, and how to make the section attract more legal professionals of all ages and practice experience.
- CLEs (1)
The section co-sponsored another successful Annual Meeting in May at the SeaTac Marriott, with more than a 100 lawyers in attendance. The conference theme, "The Changing Landscape," featured relevant presentations by noted speakers who appealed to the broad base that distinguishes the makeup of section membership.
- Dues: $25
- Total Revenue (actual): $7,729.51
- Total Expenses (actual): $8,279.68
- Total Fund balance (actual): $9,357.04
- Per-member-charge: $5,531.25 / 66.80%
- Member benefits: $2,195.51 / 26.52%
- Executive Committee: $552.92 / 6.68%
Section List Serve
- This is a "closed" list serve, which means it is not open to anyone not currently subscribed. Only current subscribers of the list serve can receive/send email to the list serve.
- Please note that the name of the list serve will be automatically added before the subject line of your message. The list name will appear in brackets. This allows you to use the list serve name as a filter when receiving email messages and setting up rules that you use to manage your email folders.
- This list serve allows attachments; however, the total message size including attachments is limited to 5 megabytes.
- Please review the List Serve Guidelines before sending messages to the list serve.
- If you have questions about the list serve, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To send a message to everyone currently subscribed to this list, address your message to email@example.com. This is the "list address." The list serve will automatically distribute the email to all subscribers.
- A subject line is required on all email messages sent to the list serve.
- Include a signature block at the bottom of the message, or some other contact information (i.e. name and email address or phone number).
Responding to Messages
When you use "Reply" to respond to an email sent to the list serve, your message will go only to the author of the email. When you use "Reply All," your message will go to the author and to all members of the list serve.
WSBA Member Benefits
Did you know there are several important member benefits and tools that come with WSBA membership including professional liability insurance and Casemaker? You can also find group medical insurance plans can be found through a broker and individual plans can be found through a broker or on the Exchange.
Chair: Brian Comstock
Secretary: Albert Armstrong III
Treasurer: Ronald E. Thompson
Immediate Past Chair: Carole Grayson
Newsletter Editor, "Life Begins": Ronald Mattson
Young Lawyer Liaison: Eleanor Doermann*
BOG Liaison: Jill Karmy*
Please contact subcommittee member for details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
For general section questions, please send your email address and Bar number to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and to get involved with the section, please contact the section Chair Brian Comstock.