Solo and Small Practice Section
We serve as a clearinghouse for qualified law practice management and technology information solo and small practice attorneys to support them in ethically conducting a profitable and satisfying business.
The 2019 Solo and Small Firm Conference: A Modern Lawyer's Toolkit
When: Friday-Sunday, Sept. 13-15
Where: Clearwater Casino Resort in Suquamish, Washington
This year's Conference will begin at noon on Friday and conclude midday Sunday. Sessions are geared to meet the needs of solo and small firm attorneys. The Conference also offers networking opportunities, a welcome reception, lunch service on Saturday, access to the Exhibit Hall featuring providers of services and products, and nearby attractions of interest to you and your family.
Here are just a few of the topics on this year’s schedule:
- Modern Legal Services/Alternative Legal Service Models/New Delivery Methods/Alternative and Creative Business Models
- How to Conduct a Financial Check-Up for Your Practice; How to Improve the Bottom Line
- The School of Hard Knocks – Graduate Level: What We Wish We’d Known Before We Learned the Hard Way
- Using and Managing Virtual Assistants; Supervising and Delegating to Staff; How to be Your Own (or Someone Else’s) Best Boss
- The Security and Ethics of Cloud Computing in 2019
- Strategic Growth Planning for the Small Firm
- Using Design Thinking to Improve Law Firm Processes
- Lawyer’s Guide to Low-Cost Marketing
The Clearwater Casino Resort offers dining and entertainment opportunities in addition to a beautiful waterfront location; other nearby attractions include: The Bloedel Reserve, the Bainbridge Island Museum of Art, the Suquamish Museum, Fay Bainbridge State Park, and several wineries and breweries.
Congratulations New Executive Committee Members!
Two-year terms, Oct. 1, 2019–Sept. 30, 2021
Access Members-Only Area
To access the Members-Only Area, login with user name SSP@wsba.org (not an active email address), type in the password you received with your section sign up/renewal, and then click continue. Resources in the members-only area include:
- CLE Chapters and Articles
- Management Tools, Tips, and Forms
- Online Resources
- The Blogroll
Whom We Serve
Solo and small practice firms comprise more than 60% of practicing lawyers in Washington. Small firm practitioners must handle their finances, marketing, business decisions and growth without the help of law firm administrators, comptrollers, marketing personnel and executive directors.
The Solo and Small Practice Section of the Washington State Bar Association offers the resources to help manage these firms to maximum efficiency and profitability.
Who Serves You
The Section’s Executive Committee is made up of elected solo and small practice attorneys. They understand what you’re dealing with because they’re facing many of those same issues in their own practices. See the Executive Committee page for details of the current members.
In addition, the Executive Committee enjoys input from the liaison for the Association of Legal Administrators, as well as various consultants to the legal industry, providing added perspective on solutions to solo and small practice challenges.
Did you know there are several important member benefits and tools that come with WSBA membership including Practice Management Assistance, professional liability insurance, Casemaker, and Fastcase? Membership in the Section can put you in touch with resources that you can't find anywhere else. It's the next best thing to having your own law practice management consultant! When you join the Section, you will enjoy full access to:
- List serve discussions where you can post questions for Section members and receive help with your most challenging issues. The list serve is a great tool for communicating with other Section members to pose questions, seek recommendations, and share information.
- Links on our Member-Only pages to hundreds of helpful resources.
- Practice tips to enhance your productivity, management and quality of life.
- Section-sponsored CLEs a focused on solo and small practice issues.
- Networking opportunities with solo and small firm practitioners in your own area, as well as from around the state.
Starting in fall 2018, the bar began offering members a new resource when shopping for health insurance. Members can compare and purchase products from leading insurance providers through a private online exchange. For more information, please visit Health Insurance Exchange or contact HealthExchange@wsba.org.
Learn more about WSBA Member Benefits.
"You all have been a great resource for me, and I'd like to say THANK YOU. I am eternally grateful for any nuggets of direction and advice... You all take the time to write out beautiful explanations that I read word for word and cherish. Your time is valuable and I appreciate it."
– Venu N. Sareen, Attorney at Law
From list serve post, May 7, 2015
Chair: Kari Petrasek
Treasurer: Bruce Gardiner
Secretary: Jordan Couch
Immediate Past Chair: Nancy Pacharzina
Chair-Elect: Shashi Vijay
ALA Liaison: Gil Price*
Board of Governors Liaison: Kim Hunter*
Young Lawyer Liaison: Jennifer Ching**Non-voting member
Please contact subcommittee member for details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
For general questions, or to switch your list serve settings to a daily digest, please email inquiries to email@example.com. To get involved and learn more about the Solo and Small Practice Section, please contact the Section Chair Kari Petrasek.