Solo and Small Practice Section
We serve as a clearinghouse for qualified law practice management and technology information for solo and small practice attorneys to support them in ethically conducting a profitable and satisfying business.
COVID-19 Law Office Reopening Guide
Check out WSBA's new Reopening Safely: A Guide to Washington State Law Offices produced by the WSBA Coronavirus Response Task Force.
The 2020 Annual WSBA Solo and Small Firm Conference
This year’s conference, in light of the pandemic, will be a one-day virtual program offered online on
Friday, Sept. 25, 2020
(Information about 20 non-need-based scholarships offered to members of the Solo & Small Practice Section is included below).
The Conference will feature presentations by FIVE national speakers, including Barron Henley, and registration offers the opportunity to earn a total of 7.25 credits (5.25 other CLE credits on the day of the Conference PLUS access after the conference to an on-demand recording of a 2 Ethics credit program that will be presented as a live webinar on August 24 (Ethical Issues Faced by Solo and Small Firm Attorneys).)
We hope you will join us for an incomparable experience: informative sessions geared to the needs of solo/small firm attorneys; a virtual reception at the end of the day featuring online discussions with small group breakouts (Theme: What I Wish I’d Known During my First 10 Years in Practice) and online networking opportunities; and access to information about providers of services and products.
To register and for further program details, click here.
Scholarships (Non-Need Based) Available to Section Members:
The Solo & Small Practice Section is offering 20 non-need-based scholarships for the 2020 Solo and Small Firm Conference. These scholarships are offered as another benefit available to Section members. The standard Conference registration fee for Section members is $199; each scholarship awarded will cover $100 towards the registration fee. To apply for one of the scholarships, please send an email to Jessica Jensen at Jessica@capcitylawps.com by Aug. 14 for the first round of consideration; should any scholarships remain unclaimed after this initial announcement, a second notice of scholarships will be announced.
Please include in your application:
- Your name and contact information
- Whether you have attended any prior Solo and Small Firm Conference(s)
- Number of years in practice
- Why you would like to attend this year’s Solo and Small Firm Conference
Congratulations, Incoming Executive Committee Members!
Below are the results of the Solo and Small Practice Section Executive Committee election. Thank you for voting!
For more information about the Section and its Executive Committee roles, please review the Section's bylaws. Winners are listed alphabetically by position.
At-Large Member (four positions open): two-year position beginning Oct. 1, 2020, and ending Sept. 30, 2022.
COVID-19 Roundtable Discussions
Practicing law in the age of COVID-19 is presenting a number of unforeseen challenges for practitioners throughout the state. The Solo & Small Practice Section has recognized the need for its members to get helpful information and guidance on how to practice law, and continue to serve clients under these unprecedented circumstances, as well as to connect with other attorneys. Thus, was born the S&SP Section Roundtables. Each week, Section members come together to hear expert speakers address a variety of timely topics. In addition, participants have the opportunity to ask how other attorneys are dealing with certain issues and share workarounds they've developed to help them continue working as productively as possible. The Section is happy to share several of its roundtable recordings below with all WSBA members.
- April 2, 2020 — Insurance Issues to Consider Working from Home/in the Office During COVID-19
- April 9, 2020 — Government Relief Options and How to Ensure the Security of Your ZOOM Meetings
- April 17, 2020 — How to Deal with the Stress and Anxiety of Working in the Age of COVID-19 (password: q9&9T&vQ)
- April 24, 2020 — Remote Notarizations and Notarizing e-Documents (password: 9B=%!5.8)
Access the materials and FAQs provided for this Roundtable by the speaker.
- May 14, 2020 — Preparing Your Practice for the Post-COVID-19 Era (password: 6Y@586+#) Law Practice Management Consultant Ann Guinn offers a candid look at what law firms need to be doing now to prepare to reopen, and what they need to do after reopening to attract new clients, and allow their staff and clients to feel comfortable coming to the office, as well as how to retool their legal services and fee structures to meet the new needs of their clients.
To access the Members-Only Area, login with user name SSP@wsba.org (not an active email address), type in the password you received with your section sign up/renewal, and then click continue. Resources in the members-only area include:
- CLE Chapters and Articles
- Management Tools, Tips, and Forms
- Online Resources
- The Blogroll
Whom We Serve
Solo and small practice firms comprise more than 60% of practicing lawyers in Washington. Small firm practitioners must handle their finances, marketing, business decisions and growth without the help of law firm administrators, comptrollers, marketing personnel and executive directors.
The Solo and Small Practice Section of the Washington State Bar Association offers the resources to help manage these firms to maximum efficiency and profitability.
Who Serves You
The Section’s Executive Committee is made up of elected solo and small practice attorneys. They understand what you’re dealing with because they’re facing many of those same issues in their own practices. See the Section background page for details of the current members.
In addition, the Executive Committee enjoys input from the liaison for the Association of Legal Administrators, as well as various consultants to the legal industry, providing added perspective on solutions to solo and small practice challenges.
Want to join us? Find out more about serving on the executive committee.
Did you know there are several important member benefits and tools that come with WSBA membership including Practice Management Assistance, professional liability insurance, Casemaker, and Fastcase? Membership in the Section can put you in touch with resources that you can't find anywhere else. It's the next best thing to having your own law practice management consultant!
When you join the Section, you will enjoy full access to:
- List serve discussions where you can post questions for Section members and receive help with your most challenging issues. This vibrant list serve is a great tool for communicating with other Section members to pose questions, seek recommendations, and share information.
- Links on our Member-Only pages to numerous helpful resources, including podcasts, past webinars, articles, CLE Chapters, videos, law practice management tips, and forms. .
- Section-sponsored webinars with CLE credit throughout the year focused on solo and small practice issues and interests.
- Discounted tuition for the annual WSBA Solo and Small Firm Conference.
- Networking opportunities with other solo and small firm practitioners.
Starting in fall 2018, the bar began offering members a new resource when shopping for health insurance. Members can compare and purchase products from leading insurance providers through a private online exchange. For more information, please visit Health Insurance Exchange or contact HealthExchange@wsba.org.
Learn more about WSBA Member Benefits.
"You all have been a great resource for me, and I'd like to say THANK YOU. I am eternally grateful for any nuggets of direction and advice... You all take the time to write out beautiful explanations that I read word for word and cherish. Your time is valuable and I appreciate it."
Venu N. Sareen, Attorney at Law
From list serve post, May 7, 2015
Chair: Kari Petrasek
Treasurer: Bruce Gardiner
Secretary: Darcel Lobo
Immediate Past Chair: Vacant
Chair-Elect: Shashi Vijay
ALA Liaison*: Gil Price
Board of Governors Liaison*: Kim Hunter
Young Lawyer Liaison*: vacant*Non-voting member
Please contact subcommittee member for details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
For general questions, or to switch your list serve settings to a daily digest, please email inquiries to email@example.com. To get involved and learn more about the Solo and Small Practice Section, please contact the Section Chair Kari Petrasek. For more information about the Executive Committee members, check out their biographies.